Hello everyone,

I'm am against updating default version to 1.7. My favourite option would
be to use the lowest possible version of JDK and give a warning if version
is not specified explicitly (similar to what resources plugin does with
encoding). I would actually go as far as warning people if they explicitly
specify version 1.7. There are a lot of folks who think they are so great
using the newest versions, but it actually may cause problems.

We have a pretty big and old application which is currently developed and
run on JDK 1.6. There were issues with 1.7, but they were fixed. The real
problem is updating customers - there are about 300 different installations
supported by our teams. It's actually pretty difficult to get on customers
servers, for each you have to contact their IT and schedule a session and
downtime.

The problem is the following. Real life experience: I wanted to use Adobe
XMP core and luckily, it was in Maven central. But not so luckily, it was
compiled with JDK 1.7 (without any need) and JDK 1.6 refused to compile
with it. I had to get the sources, compile with JDK 1.6 and put it to our
local Nexus. If maven-compiler-plugin default version is updated to 1.7, I
expect more artifacts built for 1.7 without any need.

Regards,
htfv (Aliaksei Lahachou)