On 17 Jan 2013, at 21:54, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> You two are really priceless.
>
> I have heard the message, I have requested concrete reasoning, yet all I get
> is a pat on the shoulder and a commandment to shut up and believe already.
> Four mails, and not a SINGLE concrete explanation what could (or will) go
> wrong.

Put yourself in the shoes of a brand new developer to your team.

First thing you tell them is "we use Java 7". That's all you tell them. Java 7
is a known entity, they have never seen your system before ever, and yet that
developer can bring their full past Java 7 experience to bear on your code,
they get on with it, hitting the ground running.

Second thing you tell them is "we use Maven 3". That's all you tell them. Maven
3 is a known entity, they have never seen your system before ever, but they
already know how to build your code: mvn install, mvn release:prepare
release:perform. They get on with it, hitting the ground running.

Sometimes the developer hears "we build it with build.xml". Um, what? The
developer can leverage nothing. Is your build.xml the same as past build.xml's?
Nope. Can they type "build.xml" into google and get help? Nope. They have to
waste time reading documentation that is only relevant to your site. Which no
one bothered to write. So they reverse engineered build.xml to figure out how
it works, just like they had to reverse engineer the last build.xml.

Compiling code is a solved problem. You don't hire a developer and tell them
you've made your own custom version of Java.

Building code is a solved problem. You don't hire a developer and tell them
you've made your own custom version of your build script.

"But I might want to do X" says the naive developer. No, you don't want to do
X, I the investor want you to use the standards already laid down by maven, I
don't want you reinventing the wheel, and I don't want you to waste my money
trying to re-solve solved problems.

Regards,
Graham