Cool song.
Not sure I will last that long!

Ron
On 17/01/2013 11:39 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
On 17 January 2013 16:35, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>wrote:

On 17/01/2013 11:16 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

Am 17.01.2013 10:08, schrieb Jörg Schaible:

Ah, I had seen that but thought it was inapplicable because I want to
deploy just to the local repo. But I guess I can tell it to deploy to
${settings.localRepository}, right?

What Anders tells you in a lot of word is: Your last sentence does not
make
sense in Maven terminology. The local repository is on your home
directory
and you will *never* deploy something there, "deploy" means always a
remote
repository.

Ah okay. Then maven-deploy-plugin isn't for me it seems.

See docs for similar goals:
- install:install-file - will add artifact manually to local repo

Ah nice, good enough for now.
Yeah I know Anders will facepalm over this, but it can't be helped - I'm
still not seing the use case for a repo server, I'm using maven as a
download and build tool for now, deployment (to repositories as well as to
the public) is months away and I have a gazillion of other issues to work
on.

Repositories are not public in most cases. It is a way to work with Maven
internally.
You are going to generate a gazillion of Maven issues that are completely
avoidable.

I do love to reminisce about my early days of Maven usage when I through I
didn't need a repository manager...

Such reminiscence is best conducted while listening to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsG1_3OTzyY

-Stephen

  And yes, a jar that contains only the sources (must have proper layout
though) can be installed as an artifact with classifier "sources" (that's
what the maven-sources-plugin does) and you can do this manually with
one of
the goals above - depending on your target.

I'll just add an execution with install-file in the pom of the dependency
project I think.
I think this requires the dependency install to be manually run before
the main project install. This is counter to Maven's "make the process
fully automatic" idea, but I don't need that - the dependency needs manual
intervention to upgrade, so it's no issue to finish the upgrade procedure
with a mvn install, before returning to the regular scheduled main project.

Would this work?

With the itsy bitsy teeny weeny exception that it won't scale beyond a
single co-contributor or too many dependencies handled in that way. I know
I'll have to tackle the repository server when that happens.
Are there other signs of trouble I should be watching out for?

Thanks to everybody for their time and patience!

Regards,
Jo

Ron Wheeler
President