Okay, so I've removed the dependenciesSet tag from the code and moved the
outputDirectory tag inside moduleSet and the project now builds. However, no
zip file is being created which is ultimately what I want.

So it was something to do with my descriptor like I said and also the
problem does lie with the fact that it is a multi module project as it is
pretty simple to do for a single module. My problem is that I can't pull
dependencies from projects in the structure that I stated in the original
post. I was looking for a bit of help as most examples are for a parent
containing children projects rather than within them.