On 16 April 2013 16:19, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/2013 2:31 AM, Richard Vowles wrote:
>
>> what needs concatenating? there isnt much designed to be anti-modular
>> these
>> days.
>>

> Some properties files. I could possibly remove the properties files issue
> by either having the developers hand craft them for each project, or design
> a new modular configuration system. The first is error-prone, and the
> second will take a bit of time.
>
> I suppose an ant task would work as well, but since I'm trying to replace
> ant I would like to avoid falling back on it.

I would not decry using antrun to work around a (hopefully) temporary issue.

If it proves too difficult to move to a new modular configuration system,
then I would look to replace that antrun with a plugin that does the
merging for me, perhaps even defining a new packaging type so that I can
just go <packaging>eggers-war</packaging>

If I do come up with a new modular configuration system, e.g. using
ClassLoader.getResources(path) rather that ClassLoader.getResource(path)
and then just effectively concatenating all the .properties files within
the app, then the antrun will just go away.

Having antrun there is a good tool to mark the fact that you have technical
debt that will need to be repaid. When you are leaving technical debt the
keys thing to remember are that:

1. it should be clear and obvious that it is technical debt
2. it should be as small as possible

A *simple* antrun execution that removes the need for a complex workaround
that might need to be unwound anyway is much better technical debt to leave
for later... OTOH if it is a complex antrun execution then that would not
be good technical debt to leave for later

> The current ant build is a rather fragile set of scripts that is very
> environment-dependent. The current pom.xml (actually three right now) is
> environment and IDE agnostic - which is the way I think things should be.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, folks.
>
> . . . . just my two cents.
> /mde/
>

>  On Apr 16, 2013 6:56 PM, "Mark Eggers" <its_toas...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm fairly new to Maven, and I'm trying to meet the following
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> 1. A web site consisting of multiple components, some optional
>>> 2. Optional components each have some configuration files