It can be as simple as a jar artifact that has one file:

META-INF/plexus/components.xml

For an example of the content of such a components.xml

https://github.com/jszip/jszip-maven-plugin/blob/master/src/main/resources/META-INF/plexus/components.xml

(yes that is in a plugin, but the packaging could just have easily been in
a jar)

when packaging is in a jar, you do

<build>
  <extensions>
  </extensions>
</build>

to let Maven know... ideally you do that in the root parent pom, but you
can save it for the pom that needs the packaging.

when the packaging is in a plugin, you just add <extension>true</extension>
to the <plugin>...</plugin>