Hi Jörg,

it's a common requirement to automatically have sequential (i.e.
strictly increasing) version numbers being generated, e.g. based on SVN
revision numbers. Such sequential version numbers can then be used for
detection of updates of software modules, e.g. Netbeans modules or
Magnolia modules.

The only requirement I see in that relation ship is that you need a unique identifier for your packages which is usually mapped by using a tag (SVN/Git/ ...). This is represented by the version in your maven artifact. During the usual development you can use the -SNAPSHOT marker which internally is a timestamp which is independent of the used VCS (D or not D).

To make things clear in that relationship the build-number is the revision number of the subversion repository which has nothing to do with a build-number.

The equivalent for Git is simply the SHA1...nothing else...

The best solution if you really need it use the BUILD_NUMBER environment from Jenkins/Hudson (other CI system's have similar things).

The most important question which comes into my mind in that discussion is: Why do you need that "build number" and which purposes is behind that?

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de