If you push the shared branch back to origin (yes bad practice I know... so
requires that everyone involved knows that the foo-feature branch will have
rewrites before merge back to master)

Ordinarily you would mandate that once a commit is pushed upstream it will
not be rewritten. But if you put in place a policy whereby you allow such
rewrites during the merge back to master phase you can, via policy and
procedures, allow such rewriting.

I wouldn't be happy with such a usage myself, but I have seen people use
that workflow quite successfully.