See responses inline.

On 11 June 2013 21:47, Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Nexus is used to host the .exe file. As the exe originates from a
> separate
> > Maven project, and it needs to live somewhere, I folded the exe
> generation
> > into an ant task as part of that maven project. Now I have versioned
> > hosting of the exe.
>
> I'm still confused about why you are having this problem at all. I
> think you are inventing solutions to a problem that already has a
> solution in Maven.

That's why I'm here in the hope there is a more accepted way to follow :)

> I expect you are using "deploy:deploy-file" to push this EXE artifact
> to Nexus -- if not, how are you doing this? Then you should be able to
> simply add a standard dependency in the WAR pom file against that EXE
> and it should be pulled down and included along with other
> dependencies when the WAR is constructed. (Probably you should be
> using a classifier like "windows" and a type like "exe" when you
> deploy this file, and then specify those in the WAR pom dependency as
> well.)

I'm not at my desk at the moment and I don't recall how the additional file
(the .exe) gets included in the deploy phase. I'll try to remember to
report back in the morning more specifically.

In regards to adding the dependency, this seems logical. But won't the file
be shipped in a part of the archive not normally accessible to web clients?
Specifically if it ends up in WEB-INF/lib - doesn't feel like a natural
place to serve downloadable content from.

> > So I'm rather stuck and seeking suggestions. Nexus doesn't appear to be
> > compatible with the wagon method, while the download plugin appears to
> > mutate the URL on Linux yet works on Windows. I find both circumstances
> > rather hard to believe yet my battle today leaves me empty handed and
> > frustrated.
>
> I have never heard of nor used "the download plugin" you speak of. If
> it does not work as you expect, I'd encourage you to sort out who
> "owns" it and perhaps talk to them about its deficiencies. This is not
> an Apache Maven-supported plugin but rather something created by a
> random user, I'd assume.

If you search for maven-download-plugin you should reach a project on
GitHub. There is another problem with this plugin in our case - it caches
the result which may prove undesirable given we are currently developing
against snapshots...

> Perhaps take a look at the maven-remote-resources-plugin, or the
> maven-dependency-plugin (get or copy goals). Both are "official" and
> supported plugins produced by the Apache Maven team. But I don't think
> you should need to use either of them, as stated earlier.

I'll take a look it only to be more familiar with them. I'll look at the
dependency option harder albeit with my concern about them living in a area
of the archive not normally served to web clients.

Thanks very much for the information so far.

James