On 27/06/2013 11:35 AM, cody.a.fy...@wellsfargo.com wrote:
I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need
to learn XML.

There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that
knowledge.
You are right that in general XML is useful for lots of things and that people who know lots of technologies have a much broader palette of solution components However, the specific question relates to Maven and you really do not need to have any more knowledge of XML than understanding that <something> will be terminated by </something> and that they can be nested.

You can use an IDE that will give you a graphic editor for your POM files.
You can cut and paste models of POMs. Your graphic editor should spot any XML validation errors.

Ron

Cody Fyler
Lending Grid Build Team
cody.a.fy...@wellsfargo.com
(515)-441-0814

-----Original Message-----
From: ctrueden.w...@gmail.com [mailto:ctrueden.w...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Curtis Rueden
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:31 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Hi Nayana,

Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
No, if you use Eclipse you can configure your POM in its graphical editor.
Other IDEs may have similar things.

Even if you edit POMs by hand, XML is "human readable" meaning you don't really
need an in-depth understanding of XML in order to hack together a Maven POM.

My definition of "learn XML" would be more like:
* Understand basics: elements vs. attributes, etc.
* Understand XML validation; e.g. XSD and DTD
* Understand XSLT stylesheets
* Understand parsing: SAX, DOM and XPath

And you certainly do not need to know those things to configure a Maven POM.

Regards,
Curtis

Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Thanks

--
Nayana Holanda de Abreu
holanda.nay...@gmail.com