On 02/08/2013 12:29 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:
I've stated from the beginning of this thread that it's impossible to
prevent someone from developing outside of Apache. I stand by that still.
That can't be prevented and any attempt will fail since it's not practical.

If my words today aren't clear, I'll try again. My stance isn't about
halting developing elsewhere, but to halt what I (and maybe some others)
perceive as a way of getting around the Apache community.

I won't use your "ultra whizzbang high performance logging" :-) example
because it doesn't fit what my concern; but imagine an existing component
(I won't name any) that is critical and Maven's existence and Maven can't
function without it. It's very easy for any PMC member to go to another OSS
community, develop it, and then kind of leave the other PMCs with no real
"choice" but to use it because the code realizes the future of Maven. Those
other PMCs are really backed into a corner; they have no real recourse to
preventing this, lest Maven development is simply halted altogether. The
other OSS community has other committers, other mailing lists, other
deliberations, etc. Community work and input becomes marginalized here.

Does this make sense to you? That kind of community-splitting effort needs
to stop and that's what I am trying to address.
The Maven group can always port the code back into the Maven project if the other project is OSS. If it has gone to a proprietary project (lots of open source stuff goes that way too), then the Apache maven team will have to invent its own future to be better or the same as the alternative future.

Not sure how this could happen in real life.
It sounds like the "future of Maven" resided in the head of one person who felt that the Apache Maven project did not have room for its own future so he moved on to a team that wanted to make the "future" happen now.

That would appear to be a good thing for Maven users.
The users adopt to this new project and enjoy the future.

The Apache project members who see the "future" as a good thing move to the new group and the people who did not want to support the "future" keep supporting the old way.

This would not be the first project that died rather than innovate.

You can't write a policy that protects against this and still stays open source.
You have no way to stop this from happening nor should you try.

Ron

Cheers,
Paul

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Stephen Connolly <