On 11/07/2013 04:29 PM, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:

<snip>

Our company even has an internal Nexus, but

   - I kinda dislike manually uploading external JARs there

That's what an internal Maven repository (Nexus or Artifactory) is actually for. You limit the surprises caused by relying on transient or unreliable sources. It's no different than storing custom rpms in a local yum repository so you don't lose those.

   - I was in a situation where I did not have access to that Nexus instance

I've seen, and done so myself, the idea of setting up yet another Nexus repository on your development laptop. While it seems a little outlandish, what it does do is cache everything you need locally so you can work offline. Of course, if you have no network connection and spring a new dependency onto the scene, you are stuck, but I would think that a reasonable assumption under any circumstance. If needed, it also gives you a way to vet any library upgrades locally before submitting them to the corporate repository (Nexus). Depends on what your internal processes are.

P.S. You can do this without a repository manager like Nexus by injecting it directly into your .m2 cache, but at that point, I like the management utility of Nexus to keep them and leave me the option of blowing away my .m2 cache if something gets chunked up there...

<snip>

Having said that and further explained my situation, do you have any suggestion
how to solve this problem in a clean, canonical Maven way, given a single
condition: no private Nexus or external Maven repo is available and I want
one-stop shopping and clean bootstrapping right from Maven. I think this is a
simple enough and understandable requirement. It is actually what I have
started using Maven for.

Being new to Maven myself, I'll defer to better suggestions, but I would say the most Maven-like solution is to submit the jars to your corporate Nexus and then everything else just works like magic. You'll probably want to create a custom "hosted" repo to store such things, one that is separate from any repos you push snapshots and releases into and then use a "Group" to make it all visible or some such...

<snip>