Maven does not compile anything, the Java compiler does. The Maven Compiler
Plugin is used to configure compilation according to your needs:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/

Maven default source/target version is 1.5, as you can see in the parent POM:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/tags/maven-parent-23/pom.xml?view=co&revision=1434744&content-type=text%2Fplain

If you want 1.6, please override like this:

<plugin>
        <version>3.0</version>
        <configuration>
                <source>1.6</source>