Classifier would seem to be appropriate for this case... but I would be
interested to see what others say.

I agree on this approach. It will require extra execution blocks for at least the maven-compiler-plugin and maven-jar-plugin. You also have to decide if you want the maven-surefire-plugin to test both classfolders or just the main.

Robert