Just scanning http://maven.apache.org and its not obvious by the
content on the page where the books are.

Its over in the menu on the left under Documentation > Books and Resources

I wonder if we should add a section under "Learning about Maven".

When you might have gone looking, where would you expect to find this info?

I actually only learned about the books from this mailing list. A new user won't usually read the entire menu. They will just scan it. To get started with Maven on the website, I only read the documentation links under "User Centre". I think it would be a good idea if at least the "Getting Started Guide" had one sentence at the very end that went something like "To find out more about Maven, check out the <a href=...>books</a>!" Then, at least everybody who checks out the Getting Started Guide at least KNOWS that there are books ;-)

Meanwhile, one doesn't necessarily have to buy a book to learn about the Maven lifecycle. This is also explained on the website:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
A link to the Guides index (guides/index.html) at the end of the Getting Started Guide would also be a good idea, for the same reasons.