The link to the free html and pdf books is now

http://books.sonatype.com

These books are cc licensed and we do take pull requests of enhancements.

The source is at

https://github.com/sonatype/maven-reference-en
https://github.com/sonatype/maven-example-en

I have created a patch for the Maven site that fixes the links and
attached it to

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE-194

Feel free to apply the patch and push a new site out. Also let me know if
you need anything else so that the patch can be applied.

Regards

manfred