Christofer,

this depends on your definition of "we" :-). In a company context with an
internal repository manager you might deploy a "vendor" release into your
patched thirdparty repository. Or tell your users to manually install the
patched version. I did similar stuff for this strange
m2e-maven-plugin-configuration-holder (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7905501/get-rid-of-pom-not-found-warning-for-org-eclipse-m2elifecycle-mapping
)

Regards Mirko