It depends. This is true for resources accessed via EL #{resource} (which I do
not recommend btw because it's a HUGE performance hog - better use restful
resources [1]). For facelets this only got fixed in JSF-2.2. In JSF-2.0 and 2.1
you still need the ResourceResolver to load facelets from a jar [2].

LieGrue,
strub

[1]
http://www.jakobk.com/2011/11/bachelor-thesis-about-relative-resource-handler/