Hallo Dave,

I am not really understand your problem as your report touch multiple
points, so let me do this systematically. Appologies if I state
something obvious:

a) there is no ojdbc driver in the public maven repositories. The JDBC
driver from oracle is propeitary. So I am not sure where you get that
POM from.

b) I am not sure how this is related to netbeans, could you make try to
reproduce this with a minimum sample only using maven on the command
line?

c) if you get "class not found" errors after the download/search in
repository failed that means the pom is missing, if you get the error
after the pom was found it is most likely a configuration issue.

d) the location where and how you define your dependency in the pom is
responsible where the artifact (if found) is added to the classpath.
There is especially a difference for scope=provided and scope=test
artifaces, but it could also be that the dependency is only defined
local to a specific plugin, and missing to another.

e) the location of your database is not an issue for the dependency
resolving. You might however (what is typical for ojdbc.jar) define a
dependency with a system path to a locally installed (or copied) oracle
artifact (which could be the XE installation dir).

f) I am not sore about your sping/jpa test infrastructure, but you
typically dont have to look at the setup there as long as your Pom
fails to get your dependencies.

Greetings
Bernd