I categorize different usage of Maven into two categories:
A) As a build tool
B) As a utility tool

A) would be for example building a Java web application, i.e. using the
full build lifecycle of Maven. B) on the other hand is where you just want
to do one specific "thing", for example generate Java classes from an xml
schema or creating a jar of existing Java classes.

So the first question is if your usage would fit into A or B? To narrow
things down a little bit, do you want this excel file to be generated as
part of the build of your software and then deployed together with that to
the repository? If so, it would be A. If you're just trying to find a tool
to generate this excel file on demand, we would be in B.

My point here is that if you're in category A then Maven is absolutely
appropriate. At least if you're building everything else with Maven. But if
you're in category B, then Maven is just one of many options you have. I
would even go as far as saying that there are simpler solutions, one being
a shell script (or Windows batch file) where you just have you Java command
with the jar on the classpath and the options to have the excel file
generated. Using Maven here would just add an additional dependency (to
Maven) which could just complicate things.

My two cents,
/Anders