> I categorize different usage of Maven into two categories:
> A) As a build tool
> B) As a utility tool
[snip!]
> My point here is that if you're in category A then Maven is absolutely
> appropriate. At least if you're building everything else with
> Maven. But if you're in category B, then Maven is just one of many
> options you have. I would even go as far as saying that there are
> simpler solutions, one being a shell script (or Windows batch file)
> where you just have you Java command with the jar on the classpath and
> the options to have the excel file generated.

A solution like this, is what I would like to replace, actually. :-)

> Using Maven here would just add an additional dependency (to Maven)
> which could just complicate things.

What we have, is:
 - A jar that is built with maven, and installed in the local plexus
   archive, this Jar file creates an excel file from a template
 - Many jenkins projects that uses the jar together with two python
   scrips
 - The python scripts, are:
  - A script to delete existing XLS files in the working directory
  - A script to download the jar from plexus

What I would like to have, are maven projects that would:
 1. Have the jar project as a dependency
 2. Run the jar to create the XLS spreadsheet in the target directory
 3. Offer the the XLS spreadsheet in the target directory as a Jenkins
    build artifact

Ie. since the python scripts does things that maven does by default
(clean the working directory, and download jar files from plexus),
replacing them with a maven project seemed like a good idea.