And you are going to have the exact same set of issues as with profiles.

Maven 3 does not re-interpolate the poms of dependencies IIRC... or at
least it is not supposed to... so you only get to control the variables
from the parent pom and any inherited dependencies/dependencyManagement not
from the transitive dependencies of your pom