No that's not correct for any maven project I've worked on...we use the MDP
extensively to unpack.  We use the MAP too but generally that's to create
some new artifact.

Here is the instructions on the MAP site:

assembly:unpackDeprecated. Use
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin goal: unpack or
unpack-dependencies instead.

I guess my point is...it doesn't matter to me what the plugin is
called...but the plugin that supports unpack today which is MDP should
support AAR too.