Hi there,

just my few cents...
An artifact type is something quite central. IMHO it is not the best way to force all artifacts to keep the information how to unpack it in their POMs and then magically fiddle it out from there.

If I type "mvn foo" and there is a maven-foo-plugin or foo-maven-plugin in the right groupId, then maven will automatically figure it out. So I would expect something similar here.
<packaging>aar</packaging>
could trigger that some aar-maven-plugin is responsible for packaging. There could be a convenience goal for unpacking.

If you want to have some proprietary packaging in some other namespace (and not available in central) there could be some hint configured in settings.xml.

Cheers
  Jörg