I don't agree. I think it is good to keep the version in the file so
you know what it is.

You can have /WEB-INF/tlds/mytag-1.0.tld, and then map it to
/WEB-INF/tlds/mytag.tld in web.xml (first is <location>, latter is
<uri>)

If you are using a servlet 2.3 container, you might consider putting
the tag library descriptor inside your tag library jars - they can be
automatically discovered.

There is more discussion of this in the archives.

Regards,
Brett