As of Maven 3.2.x, we have this ability to parameterize a project
version, or to drop some sort of extension point module into a Maven
install to take control of versioning.

I'm considering pushing this as an approach. However, I would be
grateful for some more details about it. Has anyone published anything
substantive?

In particular, how do people get IDEs to cope with this? I'm pretty
sure that IntelliJ would be most perplexed by
<version>${our-version}</version> at the top of a project hierarchy. I
gave up on Eclipse some time ago, but I'd be nearly as surprised if
M2E did not suffer digestive distress in the same circumstance. Is the
practical alternative to put a fixed string in there but use the
extension mechanism to override it in actual builds?