Takari's CD solution will be open sourced around the end of September. We have
two implementations in progress: one for a customer with a large project (500+
modules) in p4, and another for Facebook Presto which is a smaller project (20+
modules). The large project has been using the mechanism for 3-4 months now,
and we're just finishing the first prototype for the Presto team. We still have
many details to work out and it's my primary focus right now. When we're done
and it works for these two projects the documentation will be published in the
form of an online book. One of our requirements is interop with Eclipse and
IDEA.

We are currently using a mechanism to pass in a revision, but we have a working
version of a metadata generator that turn 1.0.0.generation into something like
1.0.0.[date]-[buildNumber]-[sha1] for the Git implementation. Happy to chat
about it offline but we won't release it until it works completely end-to-end
for our two customers.

On Aug 31, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As of Maven 3.2.x, we have this ability to parameterize a project
> version, or to drop some sort of extension point module into a Maven
> install to take control of versioning.
>
> I'm considering pushing this as an approach. However, I would be
> grateful for some more details about it. Has anyone published anything
> substantive?
>
> In particular, how do people get IDEs to cope with this? I'm pretty
> sure that IntelliJ would be most perplexed by
> <version>${our-version}</version> at the top of a project hierarchy. I
> gave up on Eclipse some time ago, but I'd be nearly as surprised if
> M2E did not suffer digestive distress in the same circumstance. Is the
> practical alternative to put a fixed string in there but use the
> extension mechanism to override it in actual builds?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral
philosophy; that is,
the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

 -- John Kenneth Galbraith