Hi,

I’m using Maven 3.2.3, Spring 3.2.11.RELEASE, JUnit 4.11, Java 6, and the
Surefire/Failsafe 2.17 plugins.  I’m trying to figure out why when running a
couple of modules in parallel, it takes much longer than when I run them
individually.  I’m trying to figure out ways to speed up my build.  I have
this in my parent pom …

        <modules>
                <module>core</module>
                …
                <module>module-x</module>
                <module>module-y</module>
        </modules>

When I run “mvn clean install -T 4”, modules “module-x” and “module-y” run
in parallel.  Both have a number of integration tests, all using

        @RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
        @ContextConfiguration({ "classpath:test-context.xml" })
        public class MyServiceIT
        {

Below are my surefire/failsafe configurations …

                        <plugin>

                                <version>2.17</version>
                                <configuration>
                                        <reuseForks>true</reuseForks>
                                        <argLine>-Xmx2048m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512M </argLine>

<skipTests>${skipAllTests}</skipTests>
                                </configuration>
                        </plugin>
                        <plugin>

<artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
                                <version>2.17</version>
                                <configuration>
                                        <reuseForks>true</reuseForks>
                                        <argLine>-Xmx4096m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512M </argLine>

<skipTests>${skipAllTests}</skipTests>
                                </configuration>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <goals>

<goal>integration-test</goal>
                                                        <goal>verify</goal>
                                                </goals>
                                        </execution>
                                </executions>
                        </plugin>

When I run the tests in parallel, the modules take 11 minutes and 13
minutes, respectively, to run.  However, running them concurrently (without
the “-T” option), they execute in 6 minutes and 9 minutes, respectively.
I’m confused about why they take so much longer to run when they both run at
the same time and was hoping some folks could suggest some ways I can
troubleshoot this further.