My opinion on this:

I do not like the connection between the owl and the word maven.
While the owl stands for wisdom in the Greek culture as on the Greek euro coins, Maven is not of Greek origin. It is cleary of Hebrew/Jewish [1] origin. I see no connection here. I would rather see an old and wise man.

I see no point on having 'v' in a different color, as if the word consists of two syllables. It is just a coincidence that the words 'maven' and 'version' have/share the 'v' combination.

Unfortunately, I have artistic talent, so I cannot come up with a decent vector graphic for an old and wise man :-(

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maven

Michael