type is not quite the same as packaging - packaging defines the lifecycle
used to build the project (what plugins get called for each phase) whereas
type is more about the final artifact and defines the extension amongst
other things.

The bundle lifecycle does define a type called 'bundle' with an extension
of 'jar'  - but as this is not a core type you need to add the bundle
plugin and set extensions to true - otherwise if you depend on artifacts
with type 'bundle' maven will assume the extension should also be
'.bundle'  (which is why the lookup was failing earlier)

But since bundles are also jars then you can simplify this when declaring
dependencies and just use the default dependency type (which has the same
extension: '.jar') which then means you don't need to pull in the bundle
plugin as an extension.