Overriding a goal is probably not the right solution.

This indicates there is a problem with your build set up. Why is a
project inheriting a parent, but not its behaviour?

If your parent is also a master build, you should consider separating
the inheritence from the master build file. See the maven-plugins CVS
repository for an example.

Cheers,
Brett