Hi Hector,

> how do I find out what version of those libraries are set of code
> compatible with ?  For instance, in my old ant lib folder,  I have a
> struts and struts-el.jar.

For JARs managed in this old Ant way, the versioning is at the whim of each
particular library.

You could check the JAR manifest to see if they put the relevant version
string in there.

You could just try all available versions of the library by changing the
version of your pom.xml until it compiles successfully. You can do a
"binary version search" to find the version in O(log n) steps instead of
O(n).

You could compare file sizes of the JARs again those of known versions
(e.g., from a fresh download). But you have to be careful with the latter
because the file size may not exactly match depending on exactly how the
JAR was built. Maybe safer would be to diff the output of "jar tf" and
"javap" on all the classes?

Perhaps someone here knows a better way.

> should I load those into my own local repository ?

Almost certainly not. Depend on the correct version from Maven Central
whenever possible.

Regards,
Curtis