Hi Jeff,
I have no answer for your question, but maybe I have got a solution for your
problem.

But you will be limited to only one running instance of your Jenkins build
pipeline.

Take a look at the plugins:
* Copy Artifact Plugin
* Clean Workspace Plugin

1. Build your "myapp" with Jenkins
2. Add the post build action "Archive Artifact"
3. In the downstream project add a build step "Copy artifact from another
project"

Now the artifact is in your workspace and you can work with it.

So what about the "Clean Workspace plugin"?
It is for stability. You can use it to clean the whole workspace (or only the copied artifact of the previous build) before copying the artifact into your downstream project.
This will ensure using a fresh copy of the artifact and not any old (cached)
build of it.

I use this plugins to collect some "last stable" artifacts from different Jenkins projects and copy them to a test environment (publish-over-ssh plugin).

Regards
   Gerd