We are attempting to upgrade our CI builds to use Maven 3.3.3 but are
getting new errors with that version (3.2.5 worked).

The error is: -Dmaven.multiModuleProjectDirectory system propery is not
set. Check $M2_HOME environment variable and mvn script match.

This only seems to be an issue with some of our builds, specifically the
ones where the top level build is an Ant script that calls Maven via
maven-ant-tasks.

What is this new property multiModuleProjectDirectory, why was it added and
how do I fix this? The online links on this issue seem vague and point to
updates needed in Eclipse and IntelliJ but in my case there is no IDE just
a CI build.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Dave