Okay, I just found a subtle problem: One of my co-workers has added a slightly
older version of the deploy plugin (2.8.1 instead of 2.8.2) to a new
pluginManagement section in one of our submodules. Somehow this broke
deployAtEnd not just for that submodule but for all modules. When I removed
that redundant and conflicting section, deployAtEnd started to work as expected.

Sorry for the noise, but I think this can happen to others too, so it is good
there is some record for it on the mailing list. Follow-up question: Can I
detect plugin conflicts via Maven Dependency Plugin, similar to
dependency:analyze for normal dependencies?
--
Alexander Kriegisch