Looking at docs for 3.3.9 [1], I noticed the following:

proxies/proxy* List<Proxy> *(Many)* Configuration for different proxy
profiles. Multiple proxy profiles might come in handy for anyone working
from a notebook or other mobile platform, to enable easy switching of
entire proxy configurations by simply specifying the profile id, again
either from the command line or from the defaults section below.
It says that I can activate a proxy defined in settings.xml using
command-line, but there is no option when looking at *mvn -h. *
Perhaps I didn't look well enough, but I couldn't find in docs how to
activate a proxy using CLI.

[1]
https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.9/maven-settings/settings.html#class_settings

*Bruno Borges*