On 3 Jul 2016, at 11:39, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> If you started with Maven 2 and now you upgrade to Maven 3.3.9 you will get a
> large number of new features and different behaviour compared to Maven 2
> etc...but there are some parts in Maven 3.X+ which are working wronge for a
> long time and which should keept the same ...to get reliable results (from
> the users perspective)..

It's a pity we've broken that already tho - esp. with dependency resolution.
One of the main things we all use maven for, and is one thing that is
constantly a mystical land of hope.

It would seem that maven these days when using "3.3.9" as a version, if someone
else wants "3.3.0" then the later is whats used, it used to be the highest
version requested was used - this changes at some point and leads to all manner
of confusion.

However, remaining on topic - I'd say that for 3.x we'd leave these features
off by default, but for 4.x we turn them on.

I for one can't wait til we fix all the problems with the "compile" scope - and
I don't care if we cause a lot of grief for end users in the process.

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net