I have a SOCKS proxy that I need Maven to use when connecting to a certain
mirror.

<mirrors>
                                <mirror>
                                                <id>proxied.maven.central</id>
                                                <name>proxied maven
central</name>

<url>http://proxied-mvn-repo.mydomain.net:18080</url>
                                                <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>
                                </mirror>
                </mirrors>

I need something like the following to proxy, but can't figure out how to
specify SOCKS:

<proxy>
                                                <id>socks_proxy</id>
                                                <active>true</active>
                                                <protocol>socks</protocol>
                                                <host>myhost</host>
                                                <port>9999</port>
                                                <username></username>
                                                <password></password>
                                                <nonProxyHosts>
localhost,127.0.0.1|mavencentral|somethingelse</nonProxyHosts>
                                </proxy>

If I use MAVEN_OPTS=" -DsocksProxyHost=localhost -DsocksProxyPort=9999" it
works OK, but I want to be able to set it in my settings so my IDE can use it.
The IDE (Eclipse) does not use the MAVEN_OPTS for some reason with the m2e
plugin.

IMO, it would be even better if we could specify a proxy in the mirror
definition, or have a corresponding proxyHosts tag in the proxy definition so
we could explicitly include hosts to proxy instead of the other way around.

Thanks,
M.