I tried the build-helper plugin and got the same problem.

Using this configuration

<plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.12</version>
        <executions>
                <execution>
                        <id>tsp</id>
                        <phase>validate</phase>
                        <goals>
                                <goal>timestamp-property</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                                <name>tsproperty</name>
                        </configuration>
                </execution>
        </executions>
</plugin>

will set tsproperty to

        [echo] 'tsproperty': 04.10.16 11:16

for example.

But when there is a pre-initialized property like

        <tsproperty>0</tsproperty>

before, the result is:

        [echo] 'tsproperty': 0

Kind regards,