My Maven version is 3.3.9. For my typical use case, my settings.xml has a
<mirror> of "central" that provides a procured subset of artifacts. It
contains nearly everything I might need to do a desktop build. However,
sometimes I need to connect to the real "central" directly to try and test
an experimental artifact; therefore I temporarily wipe out my <mirror>, let
Maven resolve the artifact and place it in my local repository, and I can
test accordingly.

Now this is where my trouble begins. After restoring my <mirror>, Maven
complains: "Failure to find xxx:yyy:1.0.0 .... was cached in local
repository, resolution will not be reattempted until...".

This is very confusing to me. The artifact version is NOT a snapshot. Yes,
I am online, but why does Maven need to verify the artifact in the remote
repository given it already resides in my local repository? Since
non-snapshots can never be re-updated, I don't see a need for Maven to make
a remote connection. It seems unnecessary.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding a requirement of Maven. I was really hoping I
could be disconnected from the artifact's remote repository, but evidently
not. Why is Maven acting this way?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Paul