You need to provide more info to understand your questions.
"obviously everything else fails"? why obviously?
"why are plugin repositories being ignored? they shouldn't for plugins and
their deps. If it is it's most likely due to a misconfiguration on your
end, but it could be a bug in maven.

/Anders