IIRC, Java's user.home system property does not depend on $HOME but on the
home of the current user as declared in /etc/passwd
If you want to set/change it, you need to set the system property with
-Duser.home=… (with Maven, you'd set it in $MAVEN_OPTS; I think you could
also use $_JAVA_OPTS to set it for each and every JVM)