Well, you could write your own plugin which has checkstyle as a dependency.
But it might be the easiest to just create a PR for the checkstyle plugin.
The checkstyle plugin is maintained by maven. So why not just create a
feature request?

Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular dependency.
You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at runtime.