the Maven Checkstyle Plugin source code is here:
https://github.com/apache/maven-checkstyle-plugin/
with links to CI and issue tracking

IMHO, updating its code should be easier than trying to tweak scripting with
Ant run.
And with the integration tests (in src/its, launched with "mvn -Prun-its
verify"), you could easily check that your new feature has expected results

then provide us a Pull Requests, to get the new feature integrated into the
official plugin, and become a new Maven contributor!

If you're interested, we're having an online "Hack Commit Push" event
tomorrow, where I will be there the whole day (Paris timezone) to help people
wanting to contribute:
see https://paris2020.hack-commit-pu.sh/

Regards,

Hervé