I have been developing in Java almost from the beginning, but have not used Maven for much more than a few personal test apps. I am now about to migrate nearly 100 applications to Maven and I am a bit concerned about how to manage dependency versions across that many projects in the future.

For a single app it is simple, go into the POM, modify the version of the dependency, then verify that nothing broke due to newly unsupported methods and fix the issues.

But if you have a lot of applications, the above method becomes very time consuming and manual.

QUESTION:  Is there a best practice (or perhaps tools that help) for how to handle updating the dependency versions for that many applications?