FYI, on the "SiteToolException: Error parsing site descriptor: TEXT must
beimmediately followed by END_TAG and not START_TAG" error, the key Maven Site
Plugin version is version 3.5, where the parsing of site.xml changed:
previously it was parser as XML, and since 3.5 it is parsed as text

the consequence is that in general, you need to surround head and footer data
from site.xml (including parents) with <![CDATA[ ]]>

that's why Apache parent version is related to maven-site-plugin version

HTH

Hervé