Hi,

for some reason I didn't get your initial mail, so I'm replying here.

I had a somewhat comparable challenge in Quarkus (making sure that
-amd/-am are picking up modules that must not contribute anything
relevant to the classpath) and ended up with this workaround:
https://github.com/quarkusio/quarkus/blob/2.10.0.CR1/docs/pom.xml#L64-L78
(the solution in Quarkus is even script-driven, but let's ignore that here)

So I'm merely targeting the pom of the module (type) and together with
scope test and wildcard exclusions only the pom.xml is added as a
resource to the surefire classpath, which doesn't bother anyone, and
it's not "visible" for consumers.

It's far from pretty, but the workaorund fills a certain gap in Maven in
terms of controlling upstream/downstream.
And for projects like Quarkus with ~1k modules, being able to build
incrementally is really important (it uses
https://github.com/gitflow-incremental-builder/gitflow-incremental-builder
for that).

So, this _might_ work for you if you combine that with a plugin dependency.

Cheers,

Falko