Oh hi Nils. Yeah well a compromise is reached. I would still support a ban
on <servers> tag in project-specific settings - more for enforcer.
Its just about maintaining good abstractions. "User settings" what should
that mean? Its basically the settings that a user doesn't want to commit.

You wanted "This is currently the only artifact repository that our build
pipelines can access, but developers will sometimes want to build a project
locally that requires other artifact repositories, e.g. a third-party
GitHub project or an experimental Proof of Concept project which requires
dependencies from a repository that hasn't been added to our in-company
artifact repository yet. A global settings file that defaults to our
private artifact repository would interfere with such local builds."

I just don't get the use case since I regularly make use of an alternative
repository configured in my user settings when I test maven pre-releases

    <profile>
      <id>stage</id>
      <activation>
        <property>
          <name>stage</name>
        </property>
      </activation>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>staging</id>
          <name>Maven Staging</name>
          <url>
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-${stage}/</url>
        </repository>
      </repositories>
      <pluginRepositories>
        <pluginRepository>
          <id>staging-plugin</id>
          <name>Maven Staging</name>
          <url>
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-${stage}/</url>
        </pluginRepository>
      </pluginRepositories>
    </profile>
  </profiles>
</settings>

When abstractions erode it becomes difficult to think. In this case though
the idea of user settings was never a strong one.

Delany