Hi, folks. I'm in the process of trying to port the Apache Xalan build from Ant to Maven. It's close to usable, but I'm still struggling with a few odd corners.

One of the odder corners: The Xalan documentation uses a javadoc taglet, @xsl.usage, to indicate whether a method is intended only for internal use despite having to be public for cross-package references. This is working fine in one of the two modules of this project, but in the other I get:

[ERROR] javadoc: error - Error - Exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException thrown while trying to register Taglet xalan2jtaglet.XSLUsageTag... [ERROR] /home/keshlam/git/xalan-java-mvn/serializer/src/main/java/org/apache/xml/serializer/AttributesImplSerializer.java:37: error: unknown tag: xsl.usage

Not a very helpful error message.... Trying to probe at this, the best guess I have is that the taglet code has a dependency on another jarfile, specifically tools.jar (or equivalent). None of my POMs explicitly reference tools.jar, but it's possible that one module is acquiring it as an indirect dependency while the other isn't.

My question is whether this diagnosis is likely to be vaguely correct, if not how to get a more useful error message out of the javadoc invocation, and if so how to make tools.jar available to the taglet in a moderately portable manner. I've been trying various fragments from Stack Overflow and haven't found one that worked for me yet, hence the question here.

The overall porting attempt is checked in as https://github.com/jkesselm/xalan-java-mvn.git if you want to look at the configuration as it currently stands, with this problem as yet unsolved.

Thanks in advance. "If it was easy, they wouldn't need _us_."

(If anyone is foolish enough to want to glance over the pom.xml files for this build and sanity-check them for massive volations of Maven idiom or horrible misunderstandings of Maven use, I'd greatly appreciate it. I haven't previously written a Maven configuration and a lot of this has been guesswork based on how many other build systems have behaved.)