Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:52:14 +0000, /Joseph Kesselman/:

My only other real gripe with Maven at the moment is that I haven't yet found a way to tell the javadoc plugin "Yes, I know there's lots that can be improved, but for now please consider that a Warning rather than an Error."

If I'm not mistaken it is not the Maven plugin but the standard Javadoc tool in newer JDK versions (1.8+) that errors out by default:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/javadoc.html#BEJEFABE

By default, the -Xdoclint option is enabled. Disable it with the option -Xdoclint:none.

For maven-javadoc-plugin:3.0.0+ this could be configured <https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#doclint>, like:

  <properties>
    <doclint>none</doclint>
  </properties>

You may try excluding only certain checks, also:

  <properties>
    <doclint>all,-missing</doclint>
  </properties>

For older javadoc plugin versions there's "failOnError" property <https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#failonerror> that's true by default:

  <properties>
    <maven.javadoc.failOnError>false</maven.javadoc.failOnError>
  </properties>

The latter is more crude approach but if everything else fails that one is likely to help.

--
Stanimir